Expat Taxation

When you decide to move to live and work in a new country you face a complex set of taxation issues in your home country and your new country.    In many countries liability to tax is primarily driven by rules that define whether you are resident or non-resident.  You therefore have to consider when you cease to be treated as resident in your home country and when you become resident in the new country.

Double Tax Treaties

Double Tax Treaties are in place for many countries that allow you to offset any taxes you have paid in one country against the liability in another country. Tax treaties tend to reduce taxes of one treaty country for residents of the other treaty country in order to reduce double taxation of the same income. The provisions and goals vary highly; very few tax treaties are alike.  It is therefore essential to take professional advice to ensure that you avoid unnecessary tax and take advantage of any tax planning opportunities.

US Taxation of Expats

Unlike most countries, the United States taxes its citizens on worldwide income, whether or not they are resident in the United States.  


Are You A UK Non-Resident Landlord? There’s Tax To Pay

Expats who rent out their UK property must register with a tax scheme…

What To Do If You Haven’t Filed A US Tax Return

There are ways for US expats to file late tax returns…

Tax and Residence Rules For British Expats

Expats should make sure they are UK non-resident to save tax…