So you are moving to Miami. Well, before you start here are our 10 top pieces of information for expats:
1. With over 800,000 UK expats the US is the second most popular destination for British Expats.
2. With a landmass that covers 92.4km2. Miami has a tropical climate with hot summers and short, warm winters. It is also the largest major city at risk of being hit by a hurricane.
3. Due to its vast size The US experience a wide range of seasonal and regional variations, from arctic in Alaska to subtropical in Florida. In January, temperatures in the coldest parts of the country average -12°C/10°F, whereas, the thermometer can top 38°C/100°F throughout much of the nation In July.
4. Under the Visa Waiver Program (VWP), nationals of 35 countries do not require visas to enter the United States for visits of up to 90 days, for either holiday or business. For longer stays there are a variety of visa available depending on the length and purpose of your stay.
5. Expats of all backgrounds can be found through the US. While there are some exceptions, Americans often go out of their way to make a newcomer feel welcome and to help in their adjustment to living in the United States.
6. English is the language of common usage throughout the United States, however it has never been designated as the nation's official language. Spanish is the second most widely used language, with some 37 million speakers. Other languages with more than one million speakers, are French, German, Italian, and Chinese.
7. The property market is still recovering from the 2008 property crash, at the hight of which some commontators said it would take at least ten years to come back from. Yet the speed of the recovery has surprised everyone. Condo prices are already back near peak levels in Miami’s most desirable areas
8. The greater Miami area is home to approximately three million people. The population of the city itself is about 391,000.
9. America’s currency is the US dollar, $.
10. The US continues to face threats from international terrorism. Despite recent successes of security services an indiscriminate attack could happen at any time.
Once you are settled, explore the vast difference of The USA as it is a truly captivating country and a great place for friends and family to visit!
Download our Expats Guide to The USA
At World of Expats, our aim is to help you plan, move and settle in The USA with minimal fuss and upheaval so we have gathered together a range of useful information to help you relocate. From this page you can access information on buying or renting property, moving to, working and living in The USA - All of which can be downloaded in our handy ‘Expats Guide to The USA’.
We know that getting moved is only the start of the fantastic experience of living overseas and so you can also sign up to our US Email Bulletins here – which are packed with useful hints, tips and reminders and can continue to keep you informed as your needs change.