So you are moving to Thailand
A country of perfect beaches, ancient temples and exotic food.
Well, before you start here are our 10 top pieces of information for expats:
- Thailand’s great whether, good health system and low cost of living make it a very popular destination for both British and American expats.
- Thailand’s climate goes through two or three different season, depending on where you are. These are the hot season, cool season, and rainy season (which can see huge downpours turn to sunshine in minutes). It is however hot and humid throughout the country for most of the year.
- The three types of visa in Thailand are tourist, non-immigrant, and transit. The non-immigrant visa is valid for 90 days at a time and are commonly used for business, medical treatment and retirement.
- There is a large international community in Thailand and expatriates will find that the Thai people are peaceful, hospitable, and tolerant.
- The national language is Central Thai. There are many regional dialects; Lao and Khmer are spoken in some northern areas and along the Cambodian border and Chinese and Malay are also spoken by many. English is more and more the language of commerce and tourism and is taught to better educated Thais
- Despite the wobbles caused by political unrest Thailand tends to be resistant to its internal problems. Since overcoming the fall in property prices between 2009 and 2013 growth has returned to the Thai property market.
- With a population of just over 67 million Thailand is the fourth most populous country in South East Asia.
- Thailand’s currency is the Baht (B)
- Thailand has the 2nd largest economy in South East Asia with a GDP of more than $370m,
Despite fairly regular political coups (at least 12 since 1932), Thailand is a relatively peaceful country, However there is the usual low level of crime in tourist areas and there have been instance of violence, sexual assault and even murder of foreign nationals.
Once you are settled, explore the wonders of Thailand as it is a truly beautiful country and a great place for friends and family to visit!